Dear podcast creators, to be heard, you must be seen. Long neglected by its algorithms, Google now indexes podcasts in its results, in the form of enriched extracts in carousels. In addition to considering the titles and meta-descriptions, the search engine is able to detect the words spoken in a recording to better position it.
The podcast is clearly the future of SEO, and especially voice searches. This is an opportunity to seize to make yourself even more audible. So, how to optimize the SEO of your episodes?
1. Identify keywords
the podcast remains a form of content. You have to take it as such. This therefore implies the use of keywords in strategic places, such as the title and the description.
When creating the script for your podcast, think about your theme, episode structure, and finding the best keyword to describe it. Feel free to search with tools like Keyword Planner or Ubersuggest to find phrases with high search volume and low competition.
Then, identify the questions that are asked by Internet users around this subject. A quick Google search and exploring the “People Also Ask” or “Related Searches” sections will help. You can also use the Answer the Public tool to uncover questions around a topic.
Find a large number of SEO tools in our article: 85 SEO Resources You Must Know
2. Transcribe your episodes
A transcript of your episode helps search engines better understand what your podcast is about. This improves the referencing of your shows.
In addition, a transcription makes your podcast more accessible to Internet users, especially those who are hard of hearing.
Another good practice is to divide your topic into chapters , to help your listeners navigate more easily to the section that interests them. It is also a way to better structure the podcast with Google, in order to promote its referencing. Its robots will be able to match a section to a user request.
Transcribing a podcast, however, can be time-consuming. You can then delegate this task to a freelance transcriber, by ordering your texts via an expert platform such as Redacteur.com . Request your quote now .
3. Optimize the podcast page
Deezer, Spotify, Apple Podcast, Google Play… all hosting platforms provide you with a specific page for your podcast. On your website, you will also dedicate a page to your show. It is essential to optimize their contents to remain visible in search results.
Think of these pages as a product sheet!
- Why people should listen to your podcast?
- What problem are you responding to?
- What are you going to bring them as a solution?
- Who are the guests and their expertise?
Make potential listeners want to listen to you. Of course, detailing your presentation page allows you to use your keywords, but also to promote SEO. We know: Google likes content with high added value, detailed and structured.
4. Optimize your episodes for Google Podcasts
With the update of its algorithm and its consideration of podcasts, Google Podcast is becoming increasingly important in the digital landscape. Make sure your episodes are present on this platform. You will not be able to register, like on other applications. Only Google decides to reference you in this tool.
For your programs to be present, you must:
- Provide a valid RSS feed that meets Google’s feed specifications and requirements.
- Podcast is a content format, like blog posts or videos. The strategy for positioning it at the top of the results is therefore similar. Take care of the structure of your shows, promote them with a dedicated page (and SEO friendly), blog articles and sharing on social networks. The more your podcast is listened to, the higher it will rise in the results.
- Call on an SEO professional to boost the SEO of your podcasts. Post an ad for free on Codeur.com , you will quickly receive numerous quotes from freelance experts.